Sunday, November 19, 2006


A CITY OF DUST



Every time I pass by the cement factory of Benghazi, I remember my good doctor that taught me in the last semesters of college .He was an old doctor taught me a course

of animal behavior , and I remember him saying that when we will graduate , every thing we learned in our years of study will not be useful for us as the animal behavior course , he said “you will go out and go and work some day and have to deal with the real life , and nothing will be helpful to you as the knowing of the animal behavior ,you will meet the lion , the snake , the fox and the spider (he meant people of course) , and if you know how they will behave , you will know how to behave back to them !!

Any way, that’ not my story!!!

Every Windy morning, my doctor came to us with red eyes and hard sneezing and coughing, he had a dust allergy.

He was always telling us that it’s a crime to build a cement factory inside the city, he told us that in other countries the cement factory is always placed outside the city and very far from it.

That day I went to see the cement factory area in a real Windy day before the rain has started , and I was shocked : all the area in front the cement factory was white , the trees where white , the ground was white , every thing !!!!

It is a sad thing to see, not talking about the effects of the pollution too!!!!

I think the sad thing is that the cement factory will always stays in its place in Benghazi, but my old doctor will die some day!!!

9 comments:

Akram said...

that's reminds me of Souq Elhamis cement factory, olive trees were completely white, my face too but there is on year now and we don't see the pollution come from this factory after they renovated and fixing it, btw souq Elhamis factory wasn't in the center of the city but near to many farms there.

Anonymous said...

I think that the pollution could be minimized by reinstalling dust filters periodically.

BeSHeSHeNtRa... said...

thank u a.adam for ur comment , and the cement factory is not in the center of the city by the way , but also it should be so faaaaaaar away from the city and the problem that they did not fix it or renevated.

BeSHeSHeNtRa... said...

thank u ghiriani for ur comment , and u r right , and i think that is the point , they never did reinstalling dust filters periodically , and even when they did, they bought a cheap and bad filters ,and that is the issue here !!!

Anonymous said...

that is very sad, both my kids suffer from asthma and living near this place would difinitely kill them.
I like what the old Doctor said, very true.

BeSHeSHeNtRa... said...

I am sorry for ur kids anglo , and may allah protect them , so it's a good thing they dont live in Libya , it is very dusty here, believe me !
thanx for ur comment :0)

Anonymous said...

London is a very polluted city and many kids here suffer from Asthma and Eczema, my son has both but when they go to Libya with their mother, usually tripoli and benghazi they actually get better as the sea air is usually clean and sea water heals the skin, so I suppose it is where you stay in Libya that matters but I am sure Libya has less pollution than the UK, my children usually start coughing as soon as I pick them up at London airport coming back from Libya.

piccolina said...

the prblem is not that they built it near the city NOPE ..the city grew that side !
changing its place will need alot and as a libyan i know that it won't happen..simply coz we r lazy and caless about humans !!

Anonymous said...

Hello
I'd like to invite u to contact me as we have a good study about the cement dust effect on respiration of workers. contact me on osamatashani@yahoo.com for details. I'm based in Garyounis University