Friday, October 06, 2006


For Libyan women only
Well I will talk about that confusing subject that nobody is talking about ..
I mean the greetings between Libyan women !!
The sad truth is that there is no general rule about the greeting thing ..
For an example In France the rule is known and respected ..so there is no confusing situations when French ladies greet each other , every thing is clear ..and under control ..only 3 kisses on cheek ..and no hand shaking ..
But here in Libya ..there is no greeting rules for the ladies ..yah the sad thing is that our grand grand grand-mothers did not leave a specific greeting rule for us ..so the whole thing is a mess ….well there is the hand shaking and that’s okay ..every one knows that there is a hand shaking ..but the real problem is in the cheek kisses ..there is no rule for them ..some give 2 and some 3 and some 4 and so on …so that’s why I always find it a confusing situation ..how should I know how much cheek kisses I must give ..without embarrassing my self or the other woman? it is so confusing ..and it is not really a cheek kiss ,it’s a fake one ..only a little sound like a kiss and it goes to the air and not to the cheek lol …
I find that the Libyan greetings between the ladies takes so so so much concentration .. I mean you should concentrate first what to say during the cheek kisses : like hi how are you Bla bla bla in the same time you must concentrate to do the little silly sound of a fake kiss that goes to the air and even concentrate to feel when the other lady will end the greeting so you know when to stop kissing and how much will it be : 2 or 3 or 4 kisses …and all that happens so fast .. and that’s all because there is no rules...if there was a rule we would not worry about the number of kisses we give and only concentrate on what we say like how are you and so on ..
I have a close friend of mine(Toto) ..and she is aware about that problem as much as I do ..so we have a rule ..when I meat her she always tell me how many kisses there will be ..if I did not see her for a long time, she tells me :it will be 4 , and so on lol ..so that’s fine with me ..
I wish if every one do that hehehehe …
Some times I found myself in a situation that I should greet some French ladies ..and believe me it is such a hard situation and I HATE it ..cause , French ladies that live in libya ..they learn the Libyan greeting at a different level ..some of them still do the French greet well .. and those are easy to greet cause I know their rule ..but some other are so confused and they mix up between the two greetings and every time they have a new way..oh I hate these situations .. I am not saying that i am unsocial person ..but hey !!!! , how should I know how to greet them if there is no rule and the whole situation is a mess ..
I really hope that some day there will be greeting rules for us ..
And if it is up to me ..i will say :only a hand shaking and a big smile will do !!!! ..and it will be enough ..lol !!! what do you think :-)
??? …

6 comments:

oummLeen said...

OH MY GOD , dear tears in Heaven , u opend a subjectwas a headacke to me when i was in Libya , oh yes there was no rule how to geet each other in Libya,i remeber i was trying always to escape from the cheekkising by giving my hand and be a littel away ....lol...
well nice subject u opend .... well while i am here in Canada i notice another thing i will talk about it in my blogge ..... good work girl and i hope they will put a rules before i come back to knwo how to say hi ...lol..

StarLit said...

well, that's right, there is no rules of greetings and number of kisses her in Libya!, but usually it would be 2 kisses to strangers or the people that we meet regularly, 4 for the people we know but we don’t meet them everyday, 6 or more for the people we know and care much about and we didn’t meet with them for awhile (like a friend arriving from a long trip) but the real problem is when you are greeting a very old lady, the kisses will go on and on and only on one cheek till all the greeting words in the world are finished, well that what I really consider confusing!

BeSHeSHeNtRa... said...

thanx the colors of life ..and i hope too that when u will come back there will be a rule greeting in libya ..lol

BeSHeSHeNtRa... said...

thnx maiuna 4 visiting my blog ..and thanx 4 the information about the number of kisses ..and YAH you are completly right about the old women greeting ..i really hate their greet so i always give my hand and tyr to be away so i can escape the greet kissing part lol ..i know its not polite of me .. but what can i do I HATE THEIR GREETING and i feel like its my whole life is passing infront of my ayes and their weard greet did not finish yet , it is a such a waste of time ..lol ..

Um Dania said...

eeeeh kisses ..
i once knew an old lady who used to scare us to death when she comes to visit my granparents house .. this old lady (may god bless her soul)had this long never ever finishing time for greetings and kisses and hugs .. i cannot even count how many kisses does she cover my face with..kisses and hugs untill you almost faint..
i remember hiding myself in the bedroom trying to avoid seeing her but usually i surrender when i hear my mama calling me to greet her..
few years ago she passed away..i felt sorry and sad ,,i remmbered her way of expressing her affection and love .. this old lady was a lovely big-heart woman ..
my problem with these kisses is the feeling of the contaminations "i`m a dentist by the way ,,doctors obsession!!!!".. it is not that these people are carrying some kind of a disease or something.. noo .. i mean by the way you kiss women in a lammah for example ,,you will mix like 20 different kind of saliva cantaing all kind of good and bad bacterias..(in libya women intend to kiss with open mouths to make this sound of kissing so some fluid will come out..and you feel it indeed!!!)well to make long story short .. these bad habits must be refined at least by us the younger generations,,old women can not be asked to change their way cause they are so naive to understand ..it is our duty to change alot of bad habits libyans are used to ..including salutes and greetings..

dania`s mama

BeSHeSHeNtRa... said...

Dania's mama ..first thnx 4 visiting my blog and ur nice comment and funny lovely story that u told ...well i really feel relieve now that there is other people hate greetings and kisses and all that sad story …cause I thought that I am the only one who hate it ..all my friends like the greeting part of meetings and have no problem with it ..but me I always did hate it , so I thought that I have a problem and I am unsocial person or something like that .. but knowing now that there is other people like me makes me happy lol ..
I liked the story u told about the old lady heheheh very funny ..yah me too I hate it when mom call me form down stairs to come greet visitors ..coz I usually hide like u did in the bathroom ..and some times I take a looooooong shower too and I always find it a good excuse hehehe ..but about the saliva thing that u told .. I really had no idea that it happens !!!! … oh now I even hate the greetings more and mooore …will it turns out to be not only a confusing ,unpleasant situation , but it is a disgusting thing too yakee !!! ..
About the old lady greeting , I don’t have that experiment coz I don’t know much of them THANX GOD and even when I meet some of them , they are always sitting down and me standing , so I just give my hand to shake them from a far distant and because they are weak and not concentrated people coz of their age so they can not do any thing about it ..
Well I really hope some day will come and the kissing part of the greeting is forbidden. just imagine ur self in a lamma and some women kiss u ..and u say NOOOO its wrong , its illegal ,see you in court ..hehheheheh ..